Total Pageviews

Monday, February 7, 2011

Writing Again.

I started writing a book. Of course, if I had a nickel for every time I said that and never completed what I started, I would be rich. Thus, the reason that I blurt it out in public on my blog. Maybe, just maybe, if I know that other people know that I've started this project I will be more motivated to finish it. I've come very close to finishing a story a couple of times, but something always happens. I always come up with a reason to not finish.

This time, it's do or die. I will finish it if it's the last thing I do. Hopefully it's not the last thing I do though. I would like to get something published before I die. Maybe it will be this story. I think I finally have something I can grasp. I always try to write a story that I'm not very passionate about. This time, however, I'm writing the kind of story that I would like to read. I don't want to write something that I think others would like to read, because then I won't care about it as much. If I care about the story, it will show in my writing and cause others to like it too.

Just to give you a little idea of what I'm going for, it's something of a fairy tale. But it's more on the side of Grimm's than Disney. It has a little bit of Alice in Wonderland, Pan's Labyrinth, Tim Burton type of inspiration. It's going to be odd, but it will also be the type of story that I love. I love fairy tales, but I prefer the way fairy tales were originally told. So, that's the inspiration behind my new story. I'll keep you posted as it develops.

2 comments:

  1. Michelle my belle,

    Congratulations on starting your book! I can't wait to read it! I've just recently started writing professionally again and want to rework Chicken Keeper in the near future sometime. As for now, I've been finding some paid work on ISA and craigslist for writing.

    It certainly is tough as you get older to keep at writing every day, but I wish you godspeed! Anyways, a book you might find interesting:

    The War of Art by Steven Pressfield

    It's a good, quick read and each chapter is a little vignette. It's a great way of looking at things and giving you encouragement to work at writing every day. I don't know if I'd be back at it, had I not read this book. Best of luck! It's always great hearing from you.

    -J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, it's good to hear from you! It's been forever!
    Thanks for the tips. I'll check that book out.

    ReplyDelete