Total Pageviews

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Dr. Oz's 7-day Energy Surge

I don't watch much day time TV, but today I happened to watch Dr. Oz. One segment of his show today addressed the fact that 2/3 of American women are sleep-deprived. He offered a "7-day energy surge" to boost your energy levels for the rest of your life. I was happy to see that I'm already doing most of the things he recommended.

The first step is to make over your morning. When you first wake up, instead of just jumping out of bed, lay in bed and take a deep breath. Cover your eyes with your palms and massage your forehead with your fingers. Then, breathe in for six counts and out for six counts. Then, when you get up, turn on the lights to tell your body that it's time to wake up. Once you're up, eat a healthy and hearty breakfast. Make sure it's full of protein and fiber. One recommendation was to eat muesli. It's a cereal like oatmeal and is very nutrient-rich. I often eat this for breakfast and it really makes my mornings better.

The next step is to add certain vitamins into your diet. The two that were spoken of were magnesium and tyrosine. Here is a clip from Dr. Oz's website: "Magnesium activates enzymes that contribute to energy production and helps regulate the levels of important nutrients like calcium, copper, zinc, potassium and vitamin D. While you can get magnesium from foods like whole grains, nuts and leafy green vegetables, most Americans need a supplement to reach the recommended daily value: 400 mg magnesium with 600 mg calcium." Again, here is a clip from the website on tyrosine: "Tyrosine is a nonessential amino acid and a building block for the mood-enhancing neurotransmitters epinephrine, norepinephrine and dopamine. Chronic stress can deplete your level of tyrosine and contribute to feelings of exhaustion. Tyrosine supplements should be taken in 500 mg doses 3 times a day, at least 30 minutes before meals. For a super boost, open a 500 mg tyrosine capsule, place the powder under your tongue and let it dissolve. It has a chalk-like consistency that may be hard to swallow, so take water as needed."

The third step is to replace your afternoon pick-me-up with a shot of wheatgrass. Wheatgrass is a superfood that is full of antioxidants, stimulates metabolism, and alkalinilizes your body. If you can't find it fresh, it can be purchased in powder form. This is something I've never tried, but I know that it's good for you. I do plan on giving this a try in the near future, as well as the magnesium and tyrosine.

The fourth and final step is to make your sleep easy and restful. Listen to music for at least 45 minutes before your bed time. Turn your alarm clock away from you so you don't watch the clock as you're falling asleep. When you have to get up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom, use a low night light. This way, your body won't wake up too much to fall back asleep quickly when you go back to bed.

Most of these things are things that I already do. I take supplements, but I want to try magnesium and tyrosine. I also want to try the afternoon shot of wheatgrass. I think my morning and before bed routines are pretty good right now, but I'm sure there's room for improvement.

What do you do to de-stress and energize yourself? Will you try the 7-day Energy Surge?
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment