Total Pageviews

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

My Trip to the ER

My readers, I have failed you once again. I haven't been blogging daily. I do have a somewhat reasonable excuse for that though. I have been very sick. Everything in my life has been neglected for past several days. This includes my apartment, which I've been so proud of lately. I'm ashamed of the way it looks right now, but I can only do so much when my body is punishing me so severely. It makes for an interesting story though.

Saturday, before I had a chance to do the chores I needed to, Chad decided that it was time to go out. We needed to go to the store, so I put things here in the apartment on hold. We went to the grocery store, Healthsmart, and then stopped at our favorite local eatery, Delightfully Yours. Just before going to the restaurant, I started feeling a little off. I thought maybe I was just hungry because I had some pangs in my stomach. After I started eating, however, I realized that wasn't so. I couldn't finish my meal and I didn't want to stay out and get coffee. So, we went home and I laid down on the couch.

Not long after getting home, I got really sick. I started throwing up and I had awful cramping in my abdomen which also traveled to my back after a while. I've had a stomach virus before, but this was nothing like I had ever experienced. After about five trips to the bathroom, Chad decided to take me to the hospital. I couldn't even take a sip of water without throwing up and I was starting to feel dehydrated. Also, the cramping in my abdomen and back was getting exponentially worse.

Upon arriving at the hospital we filled out all my information, answered a bunch of questions, took my vitals and what-not, and then was placed in a bed in the ER. It took an hour for the doctor to come see me. By then, Chad said I looked like a dead person. According to him, my lips were blue-ish and my face was pale and jaundiced. After I was seen by the doctor, they put me on an IV with fluids and some anti-vomiting medicine. FINALLY I was starting to feel better. Then another nurse came to take me to get X-Rays during which I almost passed out due to the anti-vomiting medication I received. They wheeled me around in a wheel chair, which was a weird experience for me. The only other time I've been in a wheel chair was right after I had my wisdom teeth removed and I was pretty loopy.

After that, I laid in my bed while the fluids drained into my body and slept on and off. Finally, just before 4am (it was 9:30pm when we left for the hospital), I was released. I was diagnosed with a stomach virus and a UTI (which explained the cramping in my abdomen). I was prescribed some antibiotics and was told to take over-the-counter pain meds if I needed them. Chad pulled the car around and my nurse wheeled me to the front door. She was really nice to me the whole time and I wish I had been coherent so that I could have learned her name and got her a card or something.

This was quite the experience for me. I've never been taken to the ER before. So, that's my crazy story for you. Hopefully it makes up for the few days I missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment