Total Pageviews

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Don't Worry; Be Happy

I've noticed a recurring theme in things I've been reading lately. Namely: (1) Stress less and (2) Be happy.

I subscribe to a magazine called Natural Health. In this month's issue I read an article about the 10 secrets of people who never get sick. One of these secrets was to stress less. It's been said that laughter is the best medicine and, in many respects, that's true. People who are happy have less health problems. Stress can cause all number of health issues (sore muscles, tension, heart problems, etc). It's been proven that happy people live more healthy and fulfilling lives than those who are constantly stressed and/or unhappy.

To be honest, this is one of my weakest areas. I wouldn't say that I'm a pessimist, but sometimes I have to remind myself to smile. I don't laugh nearly as often as I should. I've really been trying lately, though. I have to keep telling myself not to take life too seriously. I often have little patience with those I'm closest with. It's a bad habit, and it's one I'm trying desperately to break. You only get one life, so you might as well be happy with it.

Some measures you can take to stress less are doing things that give you a sense of peace. Read, write, chat with a friend, pray, stretch, or do some relaxing Yoga poses. Today I started playing my guitar again. It was a real stress reliever. I think I'll need to start doing that more often.

What do you do to smile? What makes you the happiest? Do you consider yourself a generally happy person?
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment