Total Pageviews

Friday, March 4, 2011

Another Raving Rant

I have a few things to say. I need to get them off my chest before I explode.

First of all, I'm getting fed up with the way that people do not care about what they're putting into their bodies. These are the most important, personal decisions you make throughout the day and no one takes it seriously. The food you eat and drink directly affects the way you feel physically, emotionally, and mentally. Why would you not take that seriously? "Oh, I can't live without my Mt. Dew." Yes, you can. In fact, once you get over some minor withdrawls, you'll feel much better!

Second, I'm also fed up with what people allow their children to eat and drink. People seem to think that children just have a high metabolism and are naturally active, so it doesn't really matter what they eat because they'll just burn it off. What children eat is so important! They need to learn healthy eating habits from a young age, or it'll be that much harder for them to learn later on in life. Children can develop health disorders just like adults can. They develop diabetes and become obese. Is that how children are supposed to live? They should be given every opportunity possible to have a wonderful childhood and food is a huge part of that!

Lastly, I'm fed up with whatever state organization it is that provides daycares with food policies and reimbursement money for food. Last year, they announced that they were changing the policies on food to be more healthy. They gave everyone a year to comply. Well, I took that as an opportunity to create a completely new and healthy menu for the children in our care. It was a big hit. Everyone was impressed and some of our parents were inspired to start eating healthier at home. Fast forward several months down the road and here I am, not being able to afford my new awesome menu. The state asks us to feed the children healthier but does not offer any raise in the amount of money they give us for food. How am I supposed to cope with this? What do they expect us to do?

Alright, I'm done ranting for the time being. If anyone has any information on grants that we could apply for, or anything that would give us more food money, don't hesitate to tell me.

2 comments:

  1. I would also like to add...the public schools feed the kids some sort of dessert almost daily. It's something like a brownie or cookie, and then they wonder why my child talks so much! He gets behavior letters sent home a lot! He does not do well with so much sugar! How does blueberry cobbler count as a serving of fruit?

    ReplyDelete